What We Do
The Drosophila Resources team provides professional care, maintenance, and organization for Janelia's fly resources. Through a combination of a knowledgeable staff and automation, we build and maintain Drosophila stocks and offer expert advice, transgenic line production, and genetic and quarantine services.
- Three stock-changing robots:
- Run 12 hours a day with a maximum capacity of 40,000 stocks
- Can change 5,000 stocks per day, send an email if there’s a problem and make duplicate copies of the stock without changing database.
Our expert staff will keep stocks and maintain fly repositories. They also will:
- Maintain 40,000 stocks in duplicate, on a four-week cycle, at 18 degrees C, with copies being two weeks apart in age
- Protect stocks by allowing access to only fly facility personnel
- Outsource transgenic work to various companies using the Phi C31 integrase system
- Monitor lab areas for stocks in need of maintenance
- Import and export fly stocks
- Quarantine all stocks that come to Janelia
- Set up crosses, perform stock constructions and recombinations
- Help with stock lists and labels
Karen Hibbard is the Fly Facility Lead for Lab and Visitor Projects. She is also a Fly Genetic expert and an instructor for the AdInstruments CrawFly Invertebrate Neurophysiology course. (2014)
Amanda Cavallaro is the Fly Facility Lead for Team Projects. She is the liaison between Janelia’s Scientific Computing team and the Janelia Drosophila community, and a FileMaker expert. (2014)
The Drosophila Resources team with the Media Prep team at Janelia. (2014)
Not present: Guillermo Gonzalez and Dona Fetter.