JARS regularly organizes seminars, retreats, and social events that are designed to fulfill needs of early career scientists at Janelia.
In addition to other scientific and intellectual events on campus, JARS organizes several seminars specifically for the benefit of early career scientists:
Young Scientist Mini Talks
JARS members practice effectively communicating a single result in a compact format.
JARS hosts a variety of panels, seminars, and workshops. Past and upcoming JARS seminars include:
- What Scientists Can Learn from Designers
- Successful Networking Strategies
- Grant Writing Workshop
- Scientific Writing Workshop
- Performing with Presence
Past and upcoming JARS career information sessions include:
- Careers in Scientific Publishing
- Maximizing the Impact of your Research
- The Faculty Experience at Liberal Arts Colleges
- Transitioning from Postdoc to PI
- Bridging the Gap: From Bench to Bedside
JARS organizes social events that bring together folks from all parts of Janelia. Social events include a monthly happy hour and an annual retreat. The offsite retreat provides students and postdocs the opportunity to present their research in talks and posters, exposes young scientists to the breadth and depth of research at Janelia and also helps to establish relationships and foster scientific collaborations between scientists that may not occur otherwise. Recent retreats were held at Chincoteauge Island and Philadelphia.