Junior Scientist Workshop on Solving Biological Problems with Chemistry
Organized by Luke Lavis and Martin Schnermann, this workshop is targeted towards graduate students and post-doctoral fellows who are chemists (broadly defined) and interested in applying chemistry to solve problems in biology.
Although the meeting will include a few plenary talks from senior researchers, the main goal of this workshop is to provide an opportunity for junior scientists to present their research, discuss bold ideas for the future, and network with peers, while also discovering potential independent early-career options at Janelia. The meeting is open to chemists from all backgrounds (e.g., organic, inorganic, analytical, materials, computational) who are interested in applying the “central science” to a broad array of biochemical or biological problems. We will thematically tune the agenda to explore some of the issues raised by participants. In order to maintain a small group atmosphere, allowing for productive discussions and presentations by everyone, space in the workshop is limited. Participants are expected to stay for the duration. We especially encourage applications from female scientists and those who identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in science.
Janelia will cover the cost of accommodation, meals and reasonable travel expenses.
To be considered, applicants must:
- Register and submit an abstract.
- Submit a current CV (in PDF format) to email@example.com
- Have your PI send a brief reference letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide answers to the following questions (send as a pdf to email@example.com).
- In 300 words or less, describe a paper (neither your own nor from your lab) that showed an innovative application of chemistry to a biological problem in a way that you aspire to in your own work.
- In 300 words or less, describe your “proudest moment in the lab” where you found a creative solution to a technical problem that enabled a previous or current project.
Application deadline EXTENDED: November 26, 2017 (11:59 p.m. ET)
Sign up to receive periodic updates and announcements about Janelia’s programs and events, including conferences and workshops, public lectures, educational and career opportunities, and more.