Looking for a wealth of challenging assignments that will satisfy your thirst for cutting-edge science, leverage and build on your coding skills, and launch your career in Computational Science? You may find a perfect fit in Janelia’s Scientific Computing Associates (SCA) program.
- Provides an alternative to the classical scientific career (PhD student or postdoc), putting you in an ideal environment to establish your career as scientific software engineer, software engineer in industry or independent computational researcher.
- Helps you build your portfolio of coding skills with a strong focus on open source software.
- Can start with an initial training/orientation period, (typically 6-months), if you have limited prior formal software engineering experience. Then have the opportunity for an 18-24 month position working hands-on contributing to Janelia’s research, with potential for a final 12 month extension. If you have significant coding experience, you have the opportunity to fast-track and work hands-on from day 1 while refining your experience and exposure to a variety of software.
- Access an amazing peer group in Scientific Computing, Janelia labs and team projects, world-class computing resources, and high-impact, challenging problems in image analysis, neuroanatomy, neuronal cell biology, circuit level functional analysis, cell biology, instrument development, and control, and other areas of biology and imaging.
- Interested applicants with significant past software engineering or computational research experience are encouraged to apply, as are current graduate students in the life sciences, math or engineering who may have more limited training. We will work with you to tailor your project and training to your career choice and based on your incoming qualifications.
For more information, please contact Stephan Preibisch.
Opportunities at Janelia
Janelia provides several opportunities for graduate students, undergraduate students, and postdoctoral fellows to do research on campus.