node_title | node_title
Scientific Computing Associates
node:field_slogan | entity_field
You are a scientist or engineer. You love to write code. Let’s explore how far you can take this.
node_body | node_body
Looking for a wealth of challenging assignments that will satisfy your thirst for cutting-edge science, leverage and build on your coding skills, and launch your career in Computational Science? You may find a perfect fit in Janelia’s Scientific Computing Associates (SCA) program.
- Provides an alternative to the classical scientific career (PhD student or postdoc), putting you in an ideal environment to establish your career as scientific software engineer, software engineer in industry or independent computational researcher.
- Helps you build your portfolio of coding skills with a strong focus on open source software.
- Can start with an initial training/orientation period, (typically 6-months), if you have limited prior formal software engineering experience. Then have the opportunity for an 18-24 month position working hands-on contributing to Janelia’s research, with potential for a final 12 month extension. If you have significant coding experience, you have the opportunity to fast-track and work hands-on from day 1 while refining your experience and exposure to a variety of software.
- Access an amazing peer group in Scientific Computing, Janelia labs and team projects, world-class computing resources, and high-impact, challenging problems in image analysis, neuroanatomy, neuronal cell biology, circuit level functional analysis, cell biology, instrument development, and control, and other areas of biology and imaging.
- Interested applicants with significant past software engineering or computational research experience are encouraged to apply, as are current graduate students in the life sciences, math or engineering who may have more limited training. We will work with you to tailor your project and training to your career choice and based on your incoming qualifications.
List of current and future SCA's
- Marwan Zouinkhi (with CellMap project team)
- Xi Peng (with Open Science Software Initiative Web Developer)
- Virginia Scarlett (OpenData specialist)
- Michael Innerberger (with Open Science Software Initiative Java Developer)
- Anirudha Kemptur (with Rob Johnson lab, starting in May 2023)
List of SCA alumni
- Mark Kittisopikul (promoted to Software engineer in SciComp Software)
- Greg Fleishman (promoted to Software engineer in SciComp Software)
- Caroline Malin-Mayor (now PhD student at University of Toronto)
- Habib Bukhari (now Head of Machine Learning at Vergesense)
- Roman Vaxenburg (now Machine Learning Researcher in Turaga lab)
- Lisa Ferguson (now Freelance Software Engineer)
- Davis Bennett (now Data Engineer with the CellMap project team)
- Andrew Moore (now Research Specialist in the Lippincott-Schwartz lab)
- Blair Rosetti (now Assistant Professor at Oberlin College)
For more information, please contact Stephan Preibisch.
janelia7_blocks-janelia7_block_right_hand_rail | block
We are currently accepting applications for two open SCA positions:
- Machine Learning Software Engineer with Open Science Software
- Automating Cognitive Neuroscience Research with the Johnson Lab
There are also other positions related to Open Science Software. For other opportunities please contact Stephan Preibisch.
Opportunities at Janelia
Janelia provides several opportunities for graduate students, undergraduate students, and postdoctoral fellows to do research on campus.