The past two years saw progress on many fronts – FIB imaging and reconstruction of seven columns of the medulla, and development of a next generation of imaging and reconstruction technology. These efforts are not independent – it was largely the problems encountered in the previous single-medulla column and the first instar projects that drove the development of this new technology.
Our group has made progress reconstructing the following connectomes:
- We finished the single column reconstruction, including tracing into the lobular plate.
- We identified a candidate circuit for motion detection.
- We reconstructed seven medulla columns in a FIB-SEM dataset.
- We generated a dense connectome for the alpha lobes in the fly mushroom body.
1. Takemura SY, et al. (2013) A visual motion detection circuit suggested by Drosophila connectomics. Nature 500(7461):175-181.